Here we are, year 12 of completing a Year in Review (though, only the second year on this blog). Can you believe it’s almost Christmas, and just a little over a week away from 2017? I am notorious for Christmas shopping at the last minute. I remember years (when I was single) shopping on Christmas eve and just feeling overwhelmed, promising myself I wouldn’t do it again. (I did, though.) Two years ago today I took a 7-week-old Maxine out for last-minute Christmas shopping. And last year I was literally trying to finish shopping for my mother-in-law on Christmas Eve while she was with me. Insanity. Why do I do this to myself?
This year, I have almost all of my gifts; there is one more arriving tomorrow, and then I’ll be done. I’m even almost done wrapping presents – with some even under the tree! That’s an accomplishment for me.
As I was reflecting on this last year, it felt very uneventful for me. I’ve been pregnant for literally half the year, but given the joy I get out of pregnancy (very low), I’m more looking forward to the arrival of Flora in 2017!
These are a few of the Year in Review questions I answered. I think they sum up well what our year looked like and outlines the most important events of the year.
Important Events in 2016
- Became an aunt (twice), to Stella and Geneva
- Bought our first real dining room set (used, but it’s Ethan Allan in excellent condition, and it was only $300, which is the cost of one new EA chair!)
- Started attending New Life Church
- Travelled to Las Vegas for the first time (for me; Nathan’s a Vegas pro)
- Remodeled our kitchen and main floor bathroom
- Baked cookies with Maxine
- Traded in the Audi Q5 for a 2016 Chevy Traverse (“mom car”)
What goals did you accomplish in 2016?
I accomplished one of five goals: Made new friends (mostly at church)
What song will always remind you of 2016?
Baby Shark, by Pink Fong. Maxine is obsessed with this song (and everything shark). She listens to this song as a reward for brushing her teeth and getting ready for bed. This song is so significant that her 2016 ornament is a beautiful shark. (She’s also getting a super soft, super plush shark.)
Greatest New Musical Discovery
Beach House is pretty good! My dad introduced me to them.
I’m not sure if it’s a 2016 movie, but I saw it this year: The Dutch Girl. Just such a beautiful, moving and emotional film.
A valuable life lesson you learned in 2016
Take delight in the Lord , and He will give you the desires of your heart. – Psalm 37:4
A song lyric that sums up 2016
If the elevator tries to break you down, go crazy! Punch a higher floor! – Prince (Let’s’ Go Crazy). I love Prince, and I love this song. Especially since Prince’s death earlier this year. It found new meaning in my life after his passing. I find this line in particular to be powerful and uplifting, but also just a lot of fun. I need more optimism like this in my life!
Goals for 2016
- Be more optimistic
- Purchase all birthday cards in advance (yearly goals, haha)
- Refinish one piece of furniture
- Get back in shape
- Make 1 or 2 new good, close friends
- Hike 100 miles in 2017
- Write 3 things daily to be grateful for
- Write more about raising daughters, hiking, and life
- Travel to one or two (or more) national parks this summer
- Stay on top of Flora and Maxine’s baby books